The GAC New Energy Automobile Co., Ltd. (GAC NE), the newest arm of GAC, recently announced specifications for the upcoming Aion S all-electric sedan, scheduled for market launch in China in May 2019.
The car, which was by GAC compared to the Tesla Model 3, is equipped with the latest NCM 811 battery cells supplied by CATL. The total capacity is 58.8 kWh, which should be enough for 510 km (317 miles) under NEDC. In the real world, we would expect more than 350 km (218 miles) of range.
Such a result could be compared only to the base Model 3 Standard, but watching videos with Aion S we feel it’s nowhere close to being on par with the Model 3 in terms of overall design. However, the Aion S opens the possibility to drive a long-range and affordable EV, which is very important.
GAC NE will produce the Aion S at its new Smart Eco-Plant, completed in December 2018, and envisioned for 200,000 cars per year in the future. The investment amounted to RMB 2.13 billion (US$ 310 million).
GAC NE Aion S specs:
- range of 510 km (317 miles) under NEDC
- range of 630 km (392 miles) at constant speed of 60 km/h (37 mph)
- battery capacity 58.8 kWh
- battery cells supplied by CATL (NCM 811)
- Nidec e-axle (electric motor, inverter and single-speed transmission) – 135 kW and 300 Nm of torque, 87 kg of weight
- 0.245 Cd
- Pre-sale price starts in China at RMB 140,000 ($20,890) after subsidies
- Level 2 autonomous driving